Sunday, October 9, 2016

3 Easy Things You Can Do to Improve Your Mixes (That Require No Talent)

I'm pretty hesitant to write on mixing as the internet is flooded with advice on the subject. Some of it's good and some of it's bad, today I'll bring up a few things that I've been taught that improved my mixes.

Mixing is a game of balance, but it can be more difficult to balance your track if you have too many things to juggle. Here's a few tips on how to alleviate some of those variables so you can just concentrate on mixing.


1. Speakers

This is the most important one.

Find the right spot for your speakers and then...don't move them. I'll let you watch a video or read a book on how high and what angle you should point them at. It depends on how your speakers disperse sound, so it's a case by case basis. Keeping your speakers the same is only one part of the equation though...

2. Volume 

I try to mark a few spots on my monitor control that I'll set my volume knob go to, that way I know if something is too quiet or too loud in context with the mix. I've marked those spots off with tape and my monitor control knob always stays within that ballpark.

3. You  

It's not enough to set your speakers in the same place with the same volume, your ears and the distance to that audio is as important as everything else. Sit in the same chair, at the same height when you go to mix. If you need to, mark a spot on the floor where the front of the legs should touch, so you're always a similar distance and height from your desk/monitors.

Why? 

Why go through all that hassle and be so strict on silly things like how high your chair is. Sound changes and our perception of frequency changes depending on distance. But the reason I jump through all these hoops when working on music is the only variable I want to be different is the source material. If I control everything I can on my end then when I hear a kick drum that's a bit too loud or to bright, I'll know it, or a vocal with a few too many high-mids. After doing enough work with those same controlled variables, you'll get used to what good work sounds like in your room and when it doesn't it'll stick out. When it does you can make the needed change quickly with all confidence that it's the right decision.

There ya go. 3 simple tips that will improve your mixing today. Go try this stuff out and see if it makes your more productive. 

be kind+make good music.